Sunday 14 February 2016

46: The roll over bar

Here a round up about my roll over bar.
I decided to ad one to protect my head and to have a good mounting point for the automatic roll harness belts.
And yes - it simply looks good !



I placed the roll bar so behind the head rest, that in case of an accident, the head can not hit the bar.
A friend of me died in his car cause his head - without helmet - crashes against the roll bar. And don´t think that a little bit foam around the bar will protect your head...

The roll over bar is made from CrMo40 x 2mm seamless tube, the braces to the back are CrMo30 x 1.5mm. The flat part is made of 30x3mm steel.
The  two inner holes on the flat part are for the safty belt rolls, the holes next to the tube is for fix on the frame rail.
I have made the plan in MS Visio, but if anyone is interested I can convert it in what ever you  will need...
Here in the South of Germany we have our "standard" company for safty bars and cages.
It is http://www.herrmann-motorsport.org/ (German website only)
He explained me, that he is able to bend the CrMo40 in a radius of 120mm - nothing else. This fits perfect with the Marcos. Shipping of the parts all over Europe is not issue. As a price advice: This bar cost 200€ +pp. The bends fitted perfect ! But I propose you have to print out or draw the plan on a cardboard to see if it will fit to your car if you want to copy it.



To weld the two braces exactly to the main bar you can use a software tool called "Tube mitter" ( google it ) to give the  braces to perfect cut for welding.




The brackets left and right are welded to the bar.















To be able to adjust the bar to the roof - I have seen, that left and right side is not equel - I use some aluminium footings. The footings allow me to remove the bar even if the rear window is mounted. I have to use a long screw from below and secure the bar at the top with a stop nut.
Remove the nut, then the screw and after them the footing - so you have enough space to take out the roll over bar at any time.
I took care, that the footings have contact with the whole surface to the frame rail.
See what I mean:

 The rear mounting point:
They shall not touch the GRP.


 The stands are in level to the top seat belt mounting points of the Mantula - but the bar is leaning back. 










1 comment:

  1. Thnak you for posting this. I am planning a roll bar project over the winter, so this looks like a very good starting point. My roll bar will also support the roof (convertible), so may need some variation.

    ReplyDelete