Friday 18 April 2014

15. Shot blasting action

The last post was a pleasure to prepare: Take photos of clean an shiny parts.

This job was one of the most dirty tasks I had to do yet. I think, the half of the glas pearls are scattered over me and my car port...and I bought 25kg !
I tried to improve this hobby blasting box - but the biggest issue was the bad view to the part I want to clean. If you do not see the dirt, you will need the tripple time to clean it.
In the picture you see the shot blasting box, a vacuum cleaner for the dust, a battery, which powers a H4 bulp to lighten up the part inside the box, a bucket with the used glas pearls - if you used them too long, the surface will not get this shiny touch, it will get matted. Around everything is coverd with glas pearl dust...included me !

The result:






Here you can see the before / after picture on the Spydercars wishbones. The steal they are made from is much more hard than the Triumph parts. You have to blast them 5x longer than all the other parts to get a clean surface. 
So, you know what you payed for !



This parts are too big for the small box. I asked a friend who has a bigger one, to do them there. Will take place in the next days...
You see the 4 shocks with the springs. I have unmounted them to clean each part seperatly.
I used a hydraulic press to remove the upper spring plate.
The surprise was, that the dampers won´t rebound after they were compressed. Bad for them, so they will not be mounted on a Marcos again !

I think, I will use them to mount all the parts, to check if everything is fitting - before I send everything to galvanise it.






The generator was another Sunday aktion. I just want to  remove the fan. Then I saw the dirt inside and one by one part was removed and cleaned. Lets hope, that it will work again...


I was in the company of a friend and could use a professional shot blasting box. Wow, what a difference.
It was so big, that I had blasted the hole exaust manifold. All the heavy rusted parts like the break drums, the linkage of the reaf axle and the exaust is clean now.
The other day the break drums were rusty again. So i grab my paint and protect them and some other bits. It´s a nice mated surface.
Only the plastic coated parts - the linkage of the rear axle and the Anti-Bump-Steer parts dont have a clean surface. The platic is too hard to remove it with glas pearls. I have to use the angle grinder...

The manifold is not perfekt - it was a little too big to reach all corners, but it looks really well.






No comments:

Post a Comment