Sunday 1 December 2013

4. Measuring Frame and Suspension

I have to do one step back.
Last week I visited a friends garage and we talked a lot about my project. After I had explained my plans, he just asked me one question:
Do you have taken some measures from the frame and suspension before you start ?

As we had this conversation in "bayrisch", it is hard to translate it to english, but I hope you see the sinn of his question...

My answer was : Ahhhh...no... ??

He has restorated a lot of old cars and knows what to do. All the classic cars are build not so exactly as actual cars, that means, a half of a centimeter is nothing - and he stated - for the english cars half of an inch is nothing.

Perfect. I had already unmounted the front suspension....
Some parts of the front suspension
I even have squeezed out all the rubber bearings from the wishbones.
OK. The next step will be to mount everything so that I can measure:

- toe alignment from rear axle to front axle
- toe alignement of the front suspension ( toe-in or toe out )
- camber and caster  at the front
- geometry of the frame itself
- geometry of the mounting point of the wishbones and trailing arms

Measure toe and chamber without a mounted front and rear suspension is not really practicable.
So I decided only to check the geometry of the frame and the fixing points of the wishbones.

Good news!
Alll the length´s I had measured differ for only 1 mm. And this 1mm is the measurement uncertainty of my tape measure.
Only the wishbone fixing points differ for about 4mm, compared from left to right. 
Here I will buy the upper wishbones from Spidercars with the rod ends to be able to adjust the front suspension.








No comments:

Post a Comment