Friday 17 January 2014

8. Stripped frame

After the braces and the gusset plates are defined I had a close date with my rear axle.
A really big rubber hammer helped me to remove the brake drums. Slide out the driveshaft and - wups - the rear axle is out.
After a close look to the break pad adjustment I saw, that the break drum should have a small hole to release the pads - but mine does not have this hole ...

Do you see, where the has to be ?

Now all the small clips of the break lines have to be removed.
Done.
The stripped frame



The next "good" idea was to use the angle grinder ( in Germany we call it short "Flex" ) with a twisted knot brush to remove all the paint and the rust. Lots of vibrationsssssss.... I do not feel my arms anymore.

The other tool I tried was this:

Here we call it "Negerkeks". It is perfect if the surface is flat. You need a speed limiter on the Flex and run it on low rpm. It will be "eaten" by screw heads or sharp edges but the result is wow !









The result after 5 hours:


The result over the time is poor. The corners and the pores are the problem. It is a huge effort to remove the paint and the rust from there. for the pores I dont have agood idea...

Break ! Think ! Phone ! Load the trailer...

Near my village is a locksmith with a sand blaster. OK, he uses no sand, he uses cast granule (?) which is really rough. The blaster works with 6000l/min and 8bar.
The result looks good, but in detail some pores with rust can be found. Dont matter... let´s do a second run after everything is welded.

The only hole...
Pores with rust on the inner tube.
And the axle in clean.






No comments:

Post a Comment