Sunday 2 November 2014

27. The GRP body

Now to something complete differnt: The body and its GRP.
Last time I have played with this glas fibre and resin I was about 20 years younger...wow.

What it maks really much more easy to handle the resin are disposable gloves! You do not have to pod of the resin from your fingers for the next few days...

I started to cut out the screens. A friend gave me a hand here cause the screens are too expensive to do it without some experiance. It worked - both screens are out and unhurt.



It was a bad job to cut off the rest of the glue from the GRP.

Then I removed all the leather fairings which are glued around the body.
The roof provided the most effort - the glue there it is not fully removed yet. I will only remove it completly if the upholsterer says, it has to be done. Maybe there is a spray like "glue-EX" and I do not have to scratch it off by hand...
The roof liner is off but the foam is still there...






Then I take care for the GRP. Cause of the left hand drive change I have a lot of holes in the bulkhead, the gearbox tunnel and the trunk which have to be closed. I decided to close all holes and drill the needed ones in a nice version again.

In the trunk I crashed the GRP while I have to remove a rusted screw from the rear axle. 8 layers of 450gr glas fibre braid had solved it.
















There were a lot of not used holes...


The hole of the hand brake has to be filled as well. Grind a low angle around the holes and fill it up... 












 

The body had a hole in the foot area of the left side - now the drivers side! I carved a styrofoam block, fixed it inside and placed some layers of fibre over it. The glas fibre + resin was fixed with tape. After it was hard I added some more layers.

A lot of small holes were filled, but the most effort was to fill the holes in the bulkhead.
In the picture you see the heat protection mate glued to the body. The area below the dashboard will be covered by a additional plate to have more room for the electric, so I do not need any heat protection there...


I had enough of it, so I used it on the complete gearbox tunnel. After taken the fotos I added some at the floor as well.

The filled holes in the firewall have to be repainted to get a nice look.
Lets start...
Cover all areas, which shall not be painted...

Start with a bonding agent...

And last but not least a shiny black paint.







1 comment:

  1. Good work. I don't know if you have tried 3M glue cleaner yet, but it's great for removing old contact adhesive. It's safe to use on GRP too. I only found it yesterday and it has already saved me hours of work as I strip out the interior of my Mantula.
    Ian

    ReplyDelete