Wednesday 25 March 2015

36. The painting job

Now it is time to give the Marocs a new paint.
I decided to hand over the paintwork preperation as well as the paint job to the paint shop.

From the paint shop I got their trailer to bring the Marcos.

It was clean, everything was removed what will not be needed, a steering and the hand break were working. Perfect.


After the 1 Million Euro question: Which color do you want to have ?
I started to dig in the color sample cabinet. After 3h I had a set of possible colors, which will fit for me.
Let´s see...

They start perparing the GRP.


and finaly put filler on it.
After 2 times staing in the paint cabin for a long time under heat the filler should be dry and will not reduce its volume anymore.


The car is back in my hands after around 6 weeks. They got the time to do their job well, what means to give the different layers enough time that all the solvents can vaporise.
After the base color with metallic effect the first layer of clear laquer was sprayed. The car was sanded again and a second layer of clear laquer was added. With this the "normal" orange peel effect on the surface is not visuable any more and a totaly clear reflection can be seen.

Of course, this is the explenation of the painter, who want to have this job!
I gave the paint job to a well known company advised by many friends, but you know, you always get 10 " the best painter I know" and 10 " never again" statements.

So my experience is, that the praperatory work was done very well. The metallic effect is not cloudy and all corners are colored. I had a look to the car, when only the first layer of clear laquer was painted. There was a significant orange peel effect al over the surface. After the second layer of clear laquer was sprayed 3 weeks after, the surface was even. But at 4 spots the orange peel effect can be still seen.
They told me to fix this with polishing after the laquer is totally dried. I shall go on in the restauration and after I nearly finished, they will take care about these spots.

 

The color is exactly what I what to have expected. A dark gery with a intensive darklight effect. In the sun ( or with a flashlight ) a bronze tint is seen. See the difference in the first two pictures.

It was a good job when they will find again all the parts like the mirrors, the wiper parts and the door handles and give them to me in a fine silk-matt black...  ;-)




No comments:

Post a Comment