Sunday 20 July 2014

23. Clean up engine and gearbox

The next big step is the engine and the gearbox.

I cleaned up both parts from outside, removed the gearbox, cleaned up the clutch housing, removed the inlet manifold and clead it and I noticed, that this was the last dirty parts of the complete Marcos !!!

No more cleaning........ maybe.





Engine:
I removed the oil sump, the starter, the inlet manifold and both top covers of the heads.
Compared with the documents I have from Rovercraft about the engine everything seems to be like described. The 3.5 liter V8 was upgraded to 200 BHP with SU carbs.
Only by the rods and the pistons I do not know, which ones are mounted.

If anybody knows the manufactor of the rods, please tell me...

The inlets got a porting...
Duplex chain
Here the rods in detail

The piston - is it original ?
A little bit rusty, but after cleaning OK
I will going on to adjust the inlet manifold and the exaust... more on this later...

Gearbox:
It was dirty inside the clutch housing, hopefully not cause of a sealing ring because teh clutch itself was dry.
Cleand it up



I never had seen a similar clutch relese bearing. It looked good, but, well it can be rubish and I didnt know...
I take care for the other end, the gear change mechanism. As I do my 500m test drive I noticed, that the gear change is hard. The lever swings around and to get the right gear was a lottery.
I studied the assembly drawing ( thanks Rimmers Brthers for the big drawing ) and bought some spares.

This is the starting situation:

After cleaned it up I saw, that the gear lever is scrating with its lower end at the housing if you want to use the reawerse gear - or was it the fifth gear... don´t know.



After a little bit shaping with the milling tool the housing is 1mm lower and everything is fitting.
It is hard to take a photo there...
This is the result:
It will take a while to adjust everthing, but it is on a good way...


No comments:

Post a Comment