Monday 15 September 2014

25. The Exaust

I have started a sophisticated part of the Marcos restauration: the exaust.
Beginning form this state it looks like I need some weeks for it.
I was right...
The manifold is from normal steel, but in a really good condition. The junction to the stainless part is rusted and one mountinghole at the cylinder head is broken.

The silencer part is stainless steel, has some scratches and dents and looks awfull.

I started to blast the 4 parts to have them clean. The manifold looks better after that, the silencer lost his shiny surface - which was hidden under the soil. It is mate now.

To have the option to measure the temperature of the exaust gas (EGT) I have welded a stainless socket next to the port. I decided to add one EGT socket per side. So I will be able to compare the left and the right side to each other. Shall be enough to play a little bit withthis - for me - new gadget.


To remove the old rust from the manifold and to protect it from new rust - even at this high temperatures - I gave it in a bath with phosphoric acid.

Where the manifold slided in to the silencer, the manifold got some holes by rust. This is always a critical part of an exaust. I decide to cut it and weld a stainless piece instead to the manifold. This will prevent the sliding parts rust down again.



The tube was a ebay bargain - fully polished.
This looks really good, so I decided to polish the whole blasted silencer part as well.
See here the three states of polishing:
Upper left:  glas pearl blasted
Lower left:  polished with a rough wax
Right side:  polished with a middle wax



As I did not know any kind of rust protection which is stable up to 1000°C, I used the "normal" rust protection color I have, the type "Brantho Korux Nitrofest", which is OK for up to 300°C.

To keep the engine bay and the inside of the car as cool as possible, I bought a thermal insulation band. I used 13m of a 50mm wide, 2mm thick band on each side. The beginning and the end of the wrap will be secured with stainless lock wire.
Friends of me used totally different types of heat insulations band. I sked them for a small part of theirs. I will do some measurements to compare them. Will follow...

Mounting the exaust to the car was a little bit tricky. I have made a new bracket for the middle fix point and a new, lower one for the fix point under the trunk.
See the bended sides to remove the flex and improve the stability...
Not polished yet...
A lashing strap is used as bracket to measure the size...

ToDo:
I do not want to use clamps for the middle sliding connection of the manifold and the silencer. This connection shall be able to move a little bit if the engine is moving while accelerating / breaking.
If will weld some brackets on both sides to keep them under tension with springs.

I have to mount a heat shield to the upper side of each silencer to prevent the LSD to get too hot.

Here some more pictures:

Isolated manifold with EGT connector



Protect the chassis against heat from the exaust...

No comments:

Post a Comment