Sunday 13 December 2015

44. The Dashboard

To finish electrical job, the new dash has to be installed.
A lot of wiring can only be done after the dash is in place. So, the next task is some woodworking...

Bought some squaremeters of birch multiplex board - why birch ? It was the only one in 12mm  ;-)
and cut out the dash form, so that not gap can be seen.













I try to mount the center console as low as possible to get more space inside the car - or better to get the impression, that there is more space inside...

At the design of the dash I follow the original design - why? - I don´t know. It looks quite good and original is always best. One of my best statements !!!

Using the jigsaw from my neighbour - it is much better than my own - and a speciale blade for circles, the result is well done. The square between the gauges is a steel sheet to be able to fit some notes or a cell phone with a magnet. Remember my "original" statement ?
I don´t know if this will work, but not tried is already lost...




I decided to cover my dashbaord with dark grey Alcantara fabric. It is a wonderful surface and together with chrome bezels it will look fantastic. Glueing the fabric onto the wood was easier than I expected. It looks so good, that even my wife complemented me - first time !!!

Here together with the old one.
The holes most left and right are for the fresh air vents. The key hole is next to the driver - on the left side now and the number of signal lights has raised to four - an additional light for low oil pressure was added.

The panel for the center console is the next job.
And when I will sucsessful with the chrome plating job for the gauge bezels I am able to finish the dash board.
It is a mess with this Stewart Warner instruments. The bezels of them are not the "standart" dimension like the classic Smiths or VDO - they are bigger, so nothing else will fit.
I bought some bezels at MJC Products in the UK. They said, I can try them and if they do not fit, send them back.
Thanks and sorry - they do not fit.
My last chance is to send the original ones to chrome plating them... takes only some weeks or months...






No comments:

Post a Comment